Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
I think they were released to take a nicer picture... wink

#94412 - 02/08/11 05:19 PM Re: ey revisited [Re: Henk69]
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
I don't like guessing these things, but as I mentioned - the Smyth ey test line should not be closely related to the Spanish breeds (the Smyth ey line imported from the USA in 1975).

As I understand it, these Spanish Breeds used by Campo et al. were in many cases rescued from diminishing landrace stock, ie collected from here and there for conservation. They are segregating many different mutations /genotypes, even within specific 'breeds'. Although some are new creations, eg the 'Melanised Prat' (combination of two breeds). I.e., these are not homozygous exhibition lines. So it would be extremely unusual that all these birds (originating from many different sources), would have the same mutation for a feather quality flaw.

How environmental? Yes, cage fray (they might only be let out infrequently, eg only for photo shoots), the photos taken at moulting times, a bad problem with rodents smile , feather pecking, diet, etc.

I recall that these Spanish researchers have done research on environmental factors /health using this stock (only mentioning if someone wants to research further).

#98169 - 08/05/11 04:44 PM Re: ey revisited [Re: Henk69]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Nicaragua
I dont know if my hen carries eWh or ey now... Why? because her eb looking boy is showing signs of Melanotic... and eb was thought to be recessive to eWh...

#98171 - 08/05/11 07:34 PM Re: ey revisited [Re: Richard in MA]
Jenks Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: USA
8/ woo

#98178 - 08/06/11 05:35 AM Re: ey revisited [Re: Jenks]
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Jenks
8/ woo

Means what???
1st John 5:11-12

#98182 - 08/06/11 11:04 AM Re: ey revisited [Re: Bushman]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Originally Posted By: Bushman
Originally Posted By: Jenks
8/ woo

Means what???
She is not happy with my post... cry

#98186 - 08/06/11 04:47 PM Re: ey revisited [Re: Marvin]
Muffi Offline
Chicken

Loc: Massachusetts, US
Originally Posted By: Marvin
I dont know if my hen carries eWh or ey now... Why? because her eb looking boy is showing signs of Melanotic... and eb was thought to be recessive to ewh...

I thought that eWh was dominant to eb except in the presence of melanizers, then eWh is the most recessive e-allele.

#98187 - 08/06/11 05:59 PM Re: ey revisited [Re: Muffi]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Originally Posted By: Muffi

I thought that eWh was dominant to eb except in the presence of melanizers, then eWh is the most recessive e-allele.
That is correct... but does that make ey(Recessive Wheaten) and eWh the same thing? I have detected melanotic in my eb bird, I thought that it came from my Er Crowing OEG male but wouldnt Melanotice make a Er bird a self black bird?

has there been any studies on what malanizers have an effect on eWheaten? how about unknown melanizers...? now wonder this debate still raging...

#98199 - 08/07/11 05:41 PM Re: ey revisited [Re: Marvin]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
That is correct... but does that make ey(Recessive Wheaten) and eWh the same thing?

I was thinking the same thought. It does not. Recessive wheaton was FOUND in RJF(unless the author was lying about it), and RJF is not supposed to have extra melanizers. There are unbelievably many phenotypes of wheaton. There can be also differences in chick downs: some are striped and some are not.Who knows if it is a sign of something?

#98201 - 08/07/11 07:05 PM Re: ey revisited [Re: Wieslaw]
Marvin Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Originally Posted By: Wieslaw
That is correct... but does that make ey(Recessive Wheaten) and eWh the same thing?

I was thinking the same thought. It does not. Recessive wheaton was FOUND in RJF(unless the author was lying about it), and RJF is not supposed to have extra melanizers. There are unbelievably many phenotypes of wheaton. There can be also differences in chick downs: some are striped and some are not.Who knows if it is a sign of something?
Correct...

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box