Topic Options
#94727 - 02/23/11 01:45 PM Lost Goose- Advice on New Mate Needed
Gooseys Offline
Chick

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello
I have posted here a couple of times. I am very upset as I lost my male goose Georgie to a fox on Monday. I inherited him a year ago and got Gracie so he wasnt alone. They are purely pets. She is scared and alone now. I will try and put better fencing up. Should I get a new goose ASAP or should I leave her awhile? I have two visiting Canadian geese as well so don't want more fighting.
Also is anyone near Wrexham in North Wales with a gander or who could offer good home to Gracie?
Thanks

#94732 - 02/23/11 03:48 PM Re: Lost Goose- Advice on New Mate Needed [Re: Gooseys]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
As long as your fencing is not foxproof, there is no reason to hurry too much. A few days of solitude will not hurt her. If you can't find a gander, you can try to buy some goslings for her.

#94735 - 02/23/11 04:21 PM Re: Lost Goose- Advice on New Mate Needed [Re: Wieslaw]
Gooseys Offline
Chick

Loc: United Kingdom
I had not thought of that. I would prefer a mate though I think.
Is waist high fencing around the lake with chicken wire and barbed good enough? How high can a fox jump? I know the last one sneaked in under a gap.How does everyone else keep their geese safe?

Thanks for reply

#94751 - 02/24/11 07:21 AM Re: Lost Goose- Advice on New Mate Needed [Re: Gooseys]
Hen-Gen Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Island of Fetlar, Shetland
When I lived on the mainland I used electric poultry netting. It comes in a 50m roll. My geese were close to a building so I used a mains energiser but battery ones are available. If the pen gets bare/muddy then you can move it. This length of roll gives a pen about 40ft square (1600 sq ft).
Foxes are quite partial to geese and will dig/climb to get at them. A quick shock on the nose though soon deters them.

Edited by Hen-Gen (02/24/11 07:22 AM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw