Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Missouri
Anyone raise Mute Swans here?

#94858 - 02/27/11 04:57 AM Re: Swans [Re: Smooth Mule]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I don't remember. But I have to warn you. Mute Swans can be incompatible with anything else , especially in breeding season.

You can watch this video(Warning!Not for the timid ones!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJa6pVOr5I

#94882 - 02/28/11 06:38 PM Re: Swans [Re: Wieslaw]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

I've been around them at breeding time. There is nothing else on our pond other than the pair of Canadian Geese who raise their brood there every year. My swan is a lone male. He's used to me not being afraid of him and backs down from me. I've been looking for a mate that he lost (that's the reason I have him now, his owners didn't want to bother with him after losing his mate). He's banded, DNA'd male and pinioned of course. I found the perfect female, same age, lost her male etc but her owner couldn't bring herself to ship her and it was too far for me to consider picking her up. I have a second pond on the other side of the yard to settle a female on and let them find one another naturally.

Barry (he didn't have a name before I got him) knows his name and comes running when I call. He would stand tall, wings spread, hissing when I took his water bucket with feed in it this winter when it got down to minus 13 degrees and the pond was mostly frozen. He was nearly as big as I am. I have held him and given him oral wormer and he is pretty good. I figure "it's a bird" and figured I could take him down if I had to, lol, so my attitude is probably about as big as his is. We actually get along well and have routines so he's comfortable with me too. I know a mate will change his attitude but I'm willing to deal with that to make him a happy swan.

#94887 - 03/01/11 05:52 AM Re: Swans [Re: Smooth Mule]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
I wonder, how do you control the young produced when they are open on free range? They are technically considered an invasive species and are having quite a negative effect on native waterfowl and even the habitats in which they breed. Up here in the NE there is always the battle between those who want to protect the "beautiful swans" and those who want to protect native habitats and the waterfowl that belong here.

#94890 - 03/01/11 06:53 AM Re: Swans [Re: Smooth Mule]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I think the original and official name is still Canada Goose, not Canadian. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#94908 - 03/01/11 04:04 PM Re: Swans [Re: Wieslaw]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Yes, it IS Canada Goose, CJR

#94934 - 03/03/11 05:49 PM Re: Swans [Re: CJR]
Smooth Mule Offline
Coop Keeper

I don't have a female but if we do, I don't have a problem with taking the eggs or young to raise or to sell since once the young are matured, the parents will often run them off anyway. They have to be banded and pinioned. Barry wanders out among the horses and mules occasionally but he heads right back to his pond. We have another pond, a smaller one, that he's not ventured to yet. It's quite close to the larger pond but he seems to have settled in fine. Some people keep same sex swans together. They will bond and never produce so you still have a nice looking "pair" that will be company to each other. There aren't any breeders in my area so I'm not likely to get another one. Barry seems content somedays and other days he seems pretty lonesome.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw