Topic Options
#95453 - 03/31/11 08:11 AM Coop insulation
orrinnh Offline
Chick

Loc: New Hampshire
Well I'm still confused about coop insulation. I live in an open area in northern New Hampshire where it is not uncommon for winter tempertures to drop to -20F. and the wind to blow at 30MPH. I have had many flocks of chickens in the past with uninsulated coops, but that was in southern New Hampshire in a wooded area. I did have to deal with some frostbite problems on very cold nights. I have read many excellent posts on this subject but cannot seem to come up with a definative answer. I am planning to build a coop and get some chicks this spring after about 20 years without chickens. Any help out there? Thanks!!

#95454 - 03/31/11 01:44 PM Re: Coop insulation [Re: orrinnh]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Here in NW Montana, where -30F is not unusual and from killing frost anytime from lst of Sept, also not unusual--and freezing nights often lasting until last frost May 15 (or a little later), when I built new poultry houses, they are insulated all around. Updating the old house, only allowed mice to invade the walls--got rid of the house!

If you send me your email, I will send pictures of the last house built, during construction. While I do use radiator heaters in the houses, because I raise bantams for Show and cannot have frosted combs, but most fowl would need no heat at all.
After 20 years? Hope you never have to give them up again! CJR

My first chicks hatched this week! Always a springtime tonic~

#95455 - 03/31/11 10:05 PM Re: Coop insulation [Re: CJR]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
We have a hen house with 6 inch fibreglass in the walls and ceiling. Double pane windows in two walls. The MISTAKE we made was not insulating the floor! The building is up on skids and the cold wind that whistles under there seeps right up through the floor boards.

ANother building we built the exact same way, but firred out the floor and laid 1 inch rigid foam insulation then plywood floor over that...that house you can heat with a candle. The difference is astonishing! (plywood is not the best flooring material for a hen house, too much wet poo will make it delaminate)

In a cold climate I would NOT put a building on skids without insulating the floor. If your building will sit flush to the ground, floor insulating might not be required, but still, if you're starting from scratch, insulate the floor, I don't think you'll be sorry you did.

#95462 - 04/01/11 06:48 AM Re: Coop insulation [Re: Uno]
orrinnh Offline
Chick

Loc: New Hampshire
CJR and Uno:

Thanks for the advice. I am retired (translates to very old) and looking for more hobbies to keep me busy. As I said before, I do have some experience with chickens but not in this environment. When I was a kid my parents always had a flock of about 150 birds and my sister and I kept a few Bantams. We also had some when my own kids were young and involved in 4H. I do have an interest in chickens and hope I can make it work in this area.

CJR:

I would love to see the pictures. My e-mail is orrinwh@gmail.com

Thanks again!!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2