Topic Options
#95514 - 04/03/11 03:05 AM Viability of fertilized eggs.
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Last sunday the 27th of March, I started an additional experiment. I filled my incubator with eggs, and added one egg of each from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of March. They are all 'up and running', which gives 25 days for the oldest egg.I remember when I was a little child my grandmother told me that she had been using eggs for incubation up to 1 month old. But where does the upper limit really lie? How old was 'your' oldest egg ?

#95524 - 04/03/11 09:07 AM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: Wieslaw]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Free range Hens that have "stolen" their nests (no other hens laying in their hideout) have come home with their 16-20 chicks, certainly the eggs were laid over 3-4 weeks, left in the nest until the hen "disappeared" on her set. These eggs were unprotected, change in temperature, but moved about when the hen returned to her nest to lay......most often 100% hatch. Sometimes the nest would be found with an egg that did not hatch. but usually found with only shells.
In a flock, while laying, the hen may not be missed, until she begins her set, then with luck, she may be seen when she comes daily to feed and drink. (I have found this the only way to locate the nest, sneakily following her back to her nest. In my situation, no longer can a hen be safe during a "stolen" set. Varmints have increased, so that she and her eggs would truly "disappear", however when I could still free range during the day, I did locate the nest and moved the hen in, eggs and all-- Hatch rate then?--I don't remember, but certainly good. So--success might depend upon care of the older eggs--(the hen naturally may do it "right") CJR

#96494 - 05/19/11 01:44 PM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: Wieslaw]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I have found something very interesting in a very old thread:

Quote:
This past season I have tested things for myself concerning hatching eggs. Here are some facts that I have concluded. Some may already know about these. I'm just trying to help some who do not.

1. Eggs that have been frozen solid, if they don't burst, can still hatch well.

2. Eggs 3 months old can still hatch good if they are not rotten.

3. If an egg has a small crack in the air cell and doesn't exceed, it will also hatch.

Hope this post helps someone.

I have found it here:

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21483#Post21483

#106369 - 10/25/12 12:33 AM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: Wieslaw]
yes Offline
Feather

Loc: victoria,australia
I know this is a very old post, but I'm curious, Wieslaw, How did the experiment go? Do you remember if the older eggs hatched?

#106421 - 10/26/12 06:53 AM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: yes]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Yes, they did hatch. From my own Leghorn eggs , fertilized is practically synonymous with hatched. So if you want to beat me, you must go for 26+ days.

#106431 - 10/26/12 07:30 PM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: Wieslaw]
yes Offline
Feather

Thanks, that's handy to know. I'll start saving my next batch of eggs.
Speaking of Leghorns, I bought a few chicks not so long ago. 3 of them turned out to be cockerels. 1 of them bites! Hard! The 2 females are nice, 1 of them jumps onto my shoulder.

#106432 - 10/27/12 01:23 AM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: yes]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

I have to add though, that I have read several sources from the tropics. It was written there , that they did not recommend to keep hatching eggs for longer than 7-10 days(as far as I recall it was from Africa).

#106439 - 10/27/12 06:21 AM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: Wieslaw]
yes Offline
Feather

Not recommended? Did they give a reason? Were the chicks you hatched out healthy?

#106440 - 10/27/12 12:11 PM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: yes]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

yes , they were healthy. There are different climate conditions, the eggs are supposed to age quicker(hot temperature and so on I think) out there.

#106450 - 10/28/12 06:03 PM Re: Viability of fertilized eggs. [Re: Wieslaw]
yes Offline
Feather

thanks, I guess fresh is always best.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2