Topic Options
#95644 - 04/11/11 06:03 AM Yellow urates
Cathy Offline
Bantam

Loc: Indiana
I lost one of my favorite easter-eggers the other day. She looked perfectly healthy and beautiful. But.....someone had been pooping yellow urates in their poop, instead of the usual white. I had assumed it was another hen I have who has been having problems for a long time.
After this one died, I noticed that she had the yellow around her vent. I'm kicking myself for not figuring this out earlier.
I thought it might just be a variation on normal poop. Everything about the poop was normal looking....except for the yellow.
She was eating fine, moving fine. Then I found her dead on the floor of the coop. She was 8.
After she died, I looked her over and found a bulge under one of her feet. Its possible she had bumblefoot and I didn't know it.
The yellow almost looked like cooked egg yolk. She hadn't laid eggs for at least a year. I was thinking it was just her age.
Her crop was fine, abdomen fine.
Any ideas what this might have been?

#95645 - 04/11/11 08:47 AM Re: Yellow urates [Re: Cathy]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I have read about yellow urates on another forum. The person sent a poop sample for examination, and the result was a severe infection with E. coli.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8280

#95650 - 04/12/11 04:57 AM Re: Yellow urates [Re: Wieslaw]
Cathy Offline
Bantam

Loc: Indiana
Thanks Wieslaw.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2