Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#95730 - 04/16/11 01:41 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Redcap]
Moderator2 Online   content
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
I set search range to 10 years. We will try this. There was a warning that large search ranges could lock down forums during the search. IF this becomes a problem for users we may have to change it to a shorter time frame. Hopefully there will not be a large demand on this and it wont be a problem.

#95731 - 04/16/11 01:52 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Moderator2]
Administrator
Flock Leader

Now how is this notification working? I received an e-mail from this thread which contained Henks post just after mine but no others. I had no threads in my watch list but did have e-mail notifications ON in my preferences. Henks reply would have been (re: Moderator2) so in order to receive a notification does the poster have reply to your post and not use quick reply which by default is to the last post in the thread? Will all members be receiving notifications that the did not intend? Not sure this was the intended action??

#95732 - 04/16/11 02:26 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Moderator2]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Germany
Well, I don't know, what Henk has changed finally, but I only get notifications for postings after the change of settings.
I miss the notification for the new post in the Redcaps thread, too. It has worked before.

#95733 - 04/16/11 03:30 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Redcap]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Netherlands
I only check the flag, so the user doesn't have to do this when he replies.

#95736 - 04/16/11 04:38 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Henk69]
Administrator
Flock Leader

I just received an e-mail notification for watched topic for Henks last post in this thread. I have turned off e-mail notifications in my profile but maybe not before Henks post was made. Could someone post another reply to see if I still get notified.

#95740 - 04/16/11 05:06 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Redcap]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

May I remind in this case to this ...
Originally Posted By: Redcap
Well, there are another things ...
could You set searches for (especially user) postings to show previews of the postbodies on default, too?

#95741 - 04/16/11 05:19 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Redcap]
Administrator
Flock Leader

Just received notification of Redcaps post and I have it turned off in my preferences. I take it to mean that everyone who posts will now be receiving e-mails unless the remember to un-check the box each time they post and going to full reply to do so. I do not think this is acceptable to force notifications if it can not be turned off by default by the user. Not to mention the increased load on an already slow system.

I thank Henk smile for his time and trouble but this will not work. frown

#95742 - 04/16/11 05:27 PM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Moderator2]
Redcap Online   content
Ruler of the Roost

Well, if I wouldn't want to get notification from a special thread, I would remove it from the watchlist.
But I still wonder how henk has resolved it, if he choosed another way than suggested at UBB Community?!

How much data traffic create a handfull poster?

#95754 - 04/17/11 01:56 AM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Redcap]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

On quick reply there is no checkbox/flag to be checked hence my script has no effect then. wink
What happens: when you do a "full reply" the topic will be added to the watched topic list if you don't uncheck the said checkbox. This is logic, since you want to know what people answer to your post.
If you can't remove the topic from the watched topic list then that is another bug (for UBB).
The standard notification in forum software is to send only a notification the first time after you make your post or after you have visited the topic again. If our software doesn't do that, that is another bug too ... wink

The solution suggested by the UBB board was to modify the php script to set the checked property to "checked" by default.
This doesn't work for me since I can not access the php scripts.
What I did instead is add a standard footer to this/each php-page:

Code:

<script type=text/javascript>
if(document.getElementById("dofav")) document.getElementById("dofav").checked = "checked";  
</script>

#95756 - 04/17/11 02:12 AM Re: Notification about new replies? [Re: Henk69]
Henk69 Offline
Classroom Professor

I also added the checkbox for the body preview.
The result for a search on myself looks a bit buggy too... wink
Again: another bug.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2