Topic Options
#96064 - 04/29/11 12:01 PM chick with pasty butt that is bloody and mucousy
Heather Offline
New Egg

Loc: New Hampshire
We have a 1 week old chick that started showing a pasty butt with what looks like bloody mucous. I cleaned her up this AM and came home from work and she has the same problem. Any ideas?

#96068 - 04/29/11 04:07 PM Re: chick with pasty butt that is bloody and mucousy [Re: Heather]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Blood in the poop is a symptom of coccidiosis, but I think your chick is to young to contract it. Poisoning with heavy metals can also make blood appear in the poop. Some chicks have tendency to peck other chicks' vent to blood - have you observed such behaviour?

#96072 - 04/29/11 05:01 PM Re: chick with pasty butt that is bloody and mucousy [Re: Wieslaw]
Heather Offline
New Egg

We have not noticed any pecking and her vent looks fine. We have separated her from the other chicks because she is lethargic. Do you recommend any wormers? or anything we can feed her to help? Can chickens get irritable bowel disease?

#96074 - 04/29/11 06:36 PM Re: chick with pasty butt that is bloody and mucousy [Re: Heather]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
You don't use dewormers on 1 week old chick. There are no worms that develop so quickly. I don't know anything about irritable bowel disease, sorry.

#96083 - 04/30/11 02:31 AM Re: chick with pasty butt that is bloody and mucousy [Re: Wieslaw]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Most likely cause is Coccidiosis. Are you feeding the chick on starter crumbles that has a coccidiostat in it? If not you need to treat your chick urgently and all the others as well or you will lose them. Check with with feedstore for a suitable treatment.

CJR posted this helpful information, in response to another poster about blood in the faeces, which should be of use to you in USA.
Quote:
It is a common symptom of Coccidiosis. Very bad for chicks! Treatment is possible, ASAP. Your feedstore will likely have Sulmet or another remedy, administered in their water. Follow instructions EXACTLY--and likely they can be cured before they are showing more symptoms. (hunchy and do not eat). AFTER the treatment, feed natural Yoghurt, mixed in their Starter for a few days, to renew the good bacteria in the gut, which the treatment will kill.

And NOT NOW , but AFTER complete treatment, feed Medicated Starter Ration. (with amprollium). It can build an immunity to Cocci infections, and they will go on to grow up just fine! I feed it until the pullet begin to lay, before changing gradually to Layer Ration.

#96090 - 04/30/11 09:41 AM Re: chick with pasty butt that is bloody and mucousy [Re: Foehn]
Heather Offline
New Egg

Our little chick died this AM, I tried giving her yogurt last night but she wasn't eating. Our chick starter is medicated for coccidiosis. I want to thank you for your help Heather

#96094 - 04/30/11 02:27 PM Re: chick with pasty butt that is bloody and mucousy [Re: Heather]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Heather, I am sorry you lost your chick. Never easy whether they are young or older. The medicated starter you are feeding should give the chicks protection from Coccidiosis, so hopefully your other chicks will have protection. It may still have been a coccidia infection but it also suggests that there was something else amiss, and I sincerely hope that it was restricted just to that chick. Make sure they are kept in clean, dry, draft-free surroundings, with a suitable heat lamp that has room for them to move away from if they get too hot. There is a lot of information in these pages about rearing chicks.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2