Topic Options
#96336 - 05/12/11 12:37 PM roost height
orrinnh Offline
Chick

Loc: New Hampshire
I have 30 chicks in the brooder at this time. 10 bantam cochins, 10 bantam brahamas, and 10 bantam New Hampshires. I am building an 8' x 8' coop with run at this time. I have placed the roosts at about 40" above the litter with a droppings board 8" below the roosts. In reading some posts I see that the roost can be too high and cause damage to the birds when they jump off. Any info on the correct height for these birds would be helpful. Thanks!

#96349 - 05/12/11 04:35 PM Re: roost height [Re: orrinnh]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
That seems a little high for now, so how about a second one at 20 inches or less? It depends on how well your breeds fly, whether the roosts need to be higher or lower. If a bird does not fly well and is heavy, it will land with a thump and bruise the ball of their foot. Sometimes this makes bumblefoot...sore and infected. If a breed flys well, roost height doesn't matter. Mine are at nine feet, because of foxes not being able to jump that high. Mine fly well. Perhaps others will know how well your breeds will fly at maturity, when they are heavier?

#96357 - 05/13/11 04:50 AM Re: roost height [Re: Jocelyn]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Some bantam cochins can fly up to at least 80 cm if not too heavy .New Hampshire probably more. It can make a difference, what they are supposed to land on while jumping off(not too hard)

#96380 - 05/13/11 11:58 PM Re: roost height [Re: Wieslaw]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona

For newly hatched chicks or an order of day-olds, the roosts are about an inch off the ground. Within a couple or three days, the birds are exploring them. As the birds grow, the roosts are raised. I find they don't have to be REAL high.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2