Topic Options
#96384 - 05/14/11 10:31 AM Can ducklings be allowed to live with adult hens?
nickie Offline
New Egg

Loc: Lancs, UK
I recently rescued a wild duckling and have bought some ducklings to keep it company. I have kept chickens for years and they are free range in the field. My ducklings are 10 days old and inside in a pen with heat. I was hoping that when they no longer need heat, I could put them outside in one of the chicken cabins that has a solid floor and then during the day gradually introduce them to free range. I have had chicks before and and I believe that it is best to keep the chicks and adult chickens separate until 18 weeks old because of transfer of diseases. Is this the same with ducklings and adult chickens? Any other advice?
Thanks Nickie

#96442 - 05/16/11 11:02 PM Re: Can ducklings be allowed to live with adult hens? [Re: nickie]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
I see no one has responded to your post. I have geese and chickens together, not ducks. There hasn't been any disease transfering problem in my flock.

#96445 - 05/17/11 12:55 AM Re: Can ducklings be allowed to live with adult hens? [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona

All livestock here roam free within the perimeter fence just like most folks do around here.

With poultry, I've had chickens, ducks, and turkeys roaming together.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw