Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#96810 - 06/08/11 12:39 AM Re: new born baby chick bedding [Re: Chrisalis]
jill52nabi Offline
New Egg

Loc: 10 Mohawk Ave, Oakland, NJ 074...
Thanks for the great idea Chrisalis!!! Hope this works well for the chicks.

#97144 - 06/20/11 12:52 AM Re: new born baby chick bedding [Re: Chrisalis]
Freestylester Offline
New Egg

Loc: Oss Brabant Holland
I use straw (koolzaadstro) which has been shredded. It works very well. I use it in the brooder and I use it in the coop. They really like it. They can scratch in it and they make little nests. I do give them a box with sand and a bowl of grit. I don't feed a normal starter, I mix my own food. I use a mix of grains and seeds which are ground to a fine size, also I give them meal-worms. And they get some greens and fruits. For water I use a rabbit bottle it works very good and the water stays clean. Even the little day old chicks don't have any trouble with the bedding. I raise bantam silkies. They eat very little of the bedding and only the size they can manage, and because I feed grains and seeds I have to give them grit anyway. Never had any troubles.

#98428 - 08/20/11 07:57 PM Re: new born baby chick bedding [Re: Chrisalis]
Coopcrazy Offline
New Egg

Loc: Canada
I have started using a combination of newspaper and sand on top. It seems to do the trick and is easy to clean up. I just fold the newspaper up around the sand. I can then use a wet/dry vac. for anything I have missed.

#98558 - 08/25/11 01:24 PM Re: new born baby chick bedding [Re: Coopcrazy]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I use cedar shavings because Hubby works at a cedar mill and I have access to loads of it. Despite the bad press that cedar gets, it seems to cause no problems.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn