Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#96797 - 06/07/11 08:05 AM Please help with sick hen
avagretta Offline
New Egg

Loc: CT
I am hoping to get some help....we are fairly new to the hen world and have never had a sick chicken so have no idea what to do. One of our hens (she is 2 yrs) has been acting very stand offish the last week or so. She has lost all of her feathers on her back end and it is also very red there. She is just laying around by herself and she seems to be twitching her head alot almost like she is trying to get an ant off of her. She IS eating though. Any and all advice and opinions please...she is my favorite girl and I am having a hard time watching her seem so uncomfortable.
Thank you.

#96798 - 06/07/11 08:55 AM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: avagretta]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Have you checked her for lice/mites?? Ear mites?? When you come into the coop at night time, do you feel something crawling on your skin?

#96799 - 06/07/11 09:30 AM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: Wieslaw]
avagretta Offline
New Egg

We will definitely check tonight. If that is the case, what do we do? And why wouldn't the other hens be experiencing something similar?

#96800 - 06/07/11 01:06 PM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: avagretta]
avagretta Offline
New Egg

Went to local feed store and got the dust and they also gave me an electrolyte and vit. supplement as well. Hopefully this works for her.
Thanks again.

#96802 - 06/07/11 02:16 PM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: avagretta]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
When checking for ear mites, take a magnifying glass, they are very small. There are several threads where Jocelyn described the way to fight them.

#98821 - 09/04/11 07:33 PM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: avagretta]
Camelia Offline
New Egg

Loc: Barrington Hills, Illinois
I have a chicken , don't know the age 1 or 2 years old, she dosen't feel good ...she does not eat , takes water from time to time , stays in one place longer than usually, keeps her eyes closed , when she try to shake her body gets off balance .... I did separete her from all other chickens, I keept her in inside, when she was outside I saw lots of flys around her head...today I took her outside for some fresh air , she did like that. I am new at this and do not know what to do , PLEASE HELP .

#98822 - 09/04/11 08:21 PM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: Camelia]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Not enough information--is she a laying hen, and has been laying? Similar symptoms when trying to pass a soft shelled egg, and when it is finally passed the hen feels fine again (until a next one). Is she in a large flock normally? Is her crop empty?--feel the front of her breast to see is there is anything that can't be passed from the crop to the stomach/gizzard? Do not force feed--good that she is drinking, keep water in front of her. Any other symptoms might help guess what is wrong??? If her balance is poor, do not put her on the roost. Separation will keep other hens from savaging her--they have no sympathy for a sick mate. Good luck, CJR

#98824 - 09/05/11 09:00 AM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: CJR]
Camelia Offline
New Egg

she is sick for the past 2 weeks , when outside walks in slow motion , trys to eat but she can't, goes in one place and stays there... now since she's in inside she lays in the bascket sleeping all day , has her eyes close at all time , openes them after a whille when I come to give her water wich she does drink only when I give her, other wise sleeps all the time ... I look all over her body and I'm not seeing anything unusual, acts like she has a headache...all my other chickens ( i have 9 and a rooster ) are full of life and very active... I did save them from a place they butcher them for meat...Thank you

Edited by Camelia (09/05/11 09:03 AM)

#98826 - 09/05/11 09:45 AM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: Camelia]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Two weeks is a long time for no new symptoms to appear and still no recovery. Too late for a diagnosis that might require antibiotics or ?. I believe she is slowly "closing down" and chickens are able to handle this "fading away" without pain or suffering. We always hope for miracles, but her history might mean that this had an earlier beginning--so sorry--make her comfortable. We have all suffered loss of our birds, without explaination--it is part of our keeping chickens. Carry on.....CJR

#98837 - 09/05/11 07:11 PM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: CJR]
Camelia Offline
New Egg

Thank you for all your help...kind regards

#98844 - 09/06/11 06:18 AM Re: Please help with sick hen [Re: Camelia]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
If they are, indeed, meat birds then they do not typically have a long life. They are a special breed developed for fast growth on low feed and are not inteded to survive for long. They are prone to many, many health issues since their bodies have undergone such a rapid growth and weight gain. There may be nothing you can do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2