Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9702 - 11/30/07 11:41 AM Re: Bloodspots
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Foehn:

Are you telling me you've had 8 year old chickens laying eggs? Inconceivable!

In fact, when I got my layers and meatbirds together as day olds and put them in the same pen, once they got bigger, those layers ate holes in the meatbirds. I have never seen anything as driven to rip and tear as those Isa Browns. And they were NOT short of protein as they were NOT yet even close to laying eggs. The RIRs never did that. Nor the Red Rocks. But the Isas...yikes! I admit it, I am not a fan of anything with even a whiff of Leghorn. They are superb layers, but have personality challenges. In my humble Uno opinion.

#9703 - 11/30/07 11:25 PM Re: Bloodspots
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Uno, yes. In particular a RIR we called Greensleeves, layed well into her teens. Not every day of course. Production dropped off as she aged, but we still got eggs from her every few days and the white leghorns also, though not as good as the RIR. Boiled an egg from a SLW this morning for brekky. It looked a normal egg, normal size, but it split when cooking which I usually don't get because shells are strong. I opened it carefully and was surprised to see it was a double yolker. It had an extra little pocket of air in between the two yolks and this must have caused it to split. I was able to examine it carefully before I devoured it with my toast. I love eating double yolkers. Appeals to my Scottish ancestry. laugh

#9704 - 12/01/07 06:19 AM Re: Bloodspots
Hen Sense Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Ohio
Hmm, Uno, you'd think that with genetic diversity like that in your flock, the problem wouldn't be genetic, and yet that seems to be the case (?) The only blood spot producer in my flock is a Marans pullet (it's very easy to tell her eggs from the others). I've not gotten a blood spot yet from my Delawares or RIRs, not one. But I assume that if I bred that Marans pullet and reared several chicks from her, I could be risking having that trait in my flock permanently. She's a really good layer, but she'll remain the single specimen of the breed in my flock.

The RIRs, in my semi-humble hensense opinion wink are the best for backyard egg production. The ones I have are so sweet and laid-back you can pretty much pick them up without a fuss whenever you like; they are great pets, and they lay every day (I only have year-olds in this breed). However, I will say this, my Delawares are a very close second in both respects.

That's pretty cool about Greensleeves, Foehn. I hope my RIRs have some of that longevity.

#9705 - 12/01/07 06:34 AM Re: Bloodspots
Urban Agrarian Offline
Feather

Loc: Massachusetts
For what's it's worth. I have a small flock so I know who lays what egg. My Welsummer is the only one who had blood spots in her eggs. None of the others (Easter Egger, Black Star, Wyandotte, Barred Rock) do.

#9706 - 12/01/07 12:34 PM Re: Bloodspots
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Well....guess I don't have much genetic diversity since all my hens, while having different moms, have the same father, my Australorp rooster (no longer with us, may he crow in peace) frown

Teen daughter said in digust yesterday, "good grief mom, everyone of these eggs (for scrambled eggs) had a bloodspot in it, maybe you ought to go to the store and buy some REAL eggs! " WHat a cheeky brat!

Time to clean house and start over....which I am reluctant to do. They all have names....

#9707 - 12/27/07 08:48 PM Re: Bloodspots
Flyman39 Offline
New Egg

Loc: West Virginia
I am new here. I just joined the Forum. I had the same problem as you and some vitamin A & K cleared it up. I hope this helps.

#9708 - 12/28/07 04:55 PM Re: Bloodspots
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I know I should know the answer to this...where do you buy chicken specific vitamins? I feed layer ration which I have assumed is complete. How does one bump up the vitamin A and K? How long did it take before you noticed the spots disappearing?

#9709 - 12/29/07 04:59 PM Re: Bloodspots
Flyman39 Offline
New Egg

Cutler Supply Co. or Jeffers supply co. offers them.I ordered off of the internet.Go to the websites and click on medicines/Vitamins link. Vitamin A&K Supplement. It only took about a week and they were gone. I also changed brands of feed after I used up what I had left and didn't have any more problems. With that many bloody eggs from so many different hens I would almost promise you that you have a feed/Vitamin deficiency problem. I may be wrong. I Hope this helps. Good luck.

#9710 - 12/29/07 06:02 PM Re: Bloodspots
Flyman39 Offline
New Egg

I just checked online for you. Jeffers no longer shows them on the website but you can get them from Cutler supply co. It is the Vitamin A & K supplement. 1 pkg costs 2.25 and is enough for 128 gals. of water.

#9711 - 12/30/07 12:28 PM Re: Bloodspots
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Thanks. I have resisted trying vitamins believing that the layer ration they get should be complete. BUT...at this point I am desperate. Next trip to the feed store I will have a look around and see what they've got. Thanks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2