Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#9712 - 01/08/08 07:43 PM Re: Bloodspots
Flyman39 Offline
New Egg

Loc: West Virginia
Just wondering if your eggs are any better. I hope so.

#9713 - 01/08/08 10:46 PM Re: Bloodspots
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
:rolleyes:

I am ashamed, I haven't got to it yet. I keep hoping they will just smarten up on their own. Plus my head is like a sieve and I always think as I'm driving home from town, gee, there's something I forgot. Age related, I'm sure. But chicken vitamins are definitely on my TO DO list. Thanks for asking.

#9714 - 03/10/08 03:08 PM Re: Bloodspots
Flyman39 Offline
New Egg

Loc: West Virginia
Haven't been here in a while. I was hoping and wondering if your eggs had cleared up from the bloodspots?

#9715 - 03/10/08 05:53 PM Re: Bloodspots
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hi Flyman:

Still serving no vitamins, but the blood spots seem to have eased up a little since they've gotten out a handful of times and found odd bits of stuff on the ground to eat. Which tells me they ARE lacking something in their diet. With heavy snow cover and no foraging the blood spots seem much worse in the winter. Thanks for asking.

#9716 - 03/10/08 07:36 PM Re: Bloodspots
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know if you have Tractor Supply Company near you. If you do, TSC carries a package of vitamins. I believe it only costs $2-4 but it treats 155 gallons of water. It is a multi-vitamin powder plus electrolytes, you can use it on a variety of animals as well. It is not chicken-specific, chickens are on the list of species it's designed for, but not exclusively chicken vitamins.

-Kim

#9717 - 03/11/08 04:05 AM Re: Bloodspots
Upback Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Maine
I'm curious how this will all turn out. Uno, have you given any more thought to "refreshing" your flock in case it's genetic?

Like most people stated, bloodspots are the very rare occurance for us. I just found one in a duck egg the other day, but it was the first I've seen in about a year. It wouldn't bother me so much for personal use, but I wouldn't want to sell bloody eggs either.

If it is vitamin related, I would imagine that even though the layer ration is not moldy or stale beyond belief, that pellets are stale by nature after all that processing. I read at some point that the processing done by some companies does destroy the vitamins previously added. When I read this, the person had chicks dying and had them looked at by whoever does that sort of thing. It was a vitamin deficiency. The person changed brands of pellets, after inquiring about processing techniques, and the problem went away. How about experimenting with different brands of layer rations?

If it is a problem more in the winter months like you mentioned, do you feed hay or alfalfa during that time? We soak alfalfa cubes until soft in a little tub of water and the birds devour it. They also get a lot of hay at this time. Strictly winter treats.

Or maybe the feng shui in the coop is all bunged up and all you need to do is move one picture to another wall, hang a red ribbon over the door, and switch to lace curtains! Or maybe the hens have been nipping on the C.R. in the peroxide bottle and water it down so you won't notice. Are their eyes blood-shot as well as the eggs? : )

#9718 - 03/12/08 01:56 AM Re: Bloodspots
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
UNO I know you began this post with a quote from Shakespeare, so perhaps this one by Brutus from the Serpents egg would be more appropriate.
Brutus:
And since the quarrel
Will bear no color for the thing he is,
Fashion it thus: that what he is, augmented,
Would run to these and these extremities;
And therefore think him as a serpent's egg,
Which, hatch'd, would as his kind grow mischievous,
And kill him in the shell.

You could quote this to your chooks while standing in your lace curtained coop, battle axe in hand, sipping on what's left of that " bottle". The hens will barely raise a hiccup from their drunken stupor! laugh

#9719 - 03/13/08 10:51 PM Re: Bloodspots
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

OH COME ON!!!

You guys pay WAY too much attention to the craziness I post! laugh

I found some poultry vitamins that I give them as chicks and decided to try that. But it does not list vitamin K. (I didn't know there was a vitamin K.)However it is too soon to tell. While it is no doubt vitamin related, I also believe it is heavily genetic. I have way too many blood spots for it NOT to be genetic. I do need to renew the flock.

And no doubt the feng shui is off balance, bad chi and all that. Perhaps I have to have hubby position the roost in a more auspicious location. But I do not believe any of this is realted to that wee bit o' Crown Royal I have stashed for poultry related homeopathic emergencies. You never know when you'll be powdering bums for crawling beasties when you'll need a small draught to give you vigour.

And here's to you Foehn;

Hello fair hen, what would thou lay,
within thine plywood box of hay?
An orb of brown to basket fill?
And yet you set there, blinking still.
Thank you ma'am, sweet mannered hen
I leave you now, but come again
And thanks to you upon this day
I feed my kin a fine souffle. :p

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2