Topic Options
#97043 - 06/15/11 05:25 PM silkie breeding pens
ministerman Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
one of my projects for this summer is to build 3 breeding pens for silkies. Each pen will need to hold 4 hens and a male. What would you build for pens to serve that purpose?

What Size?

What height?

Roosts or no roosts?

Nests or no nests?

The Birds will be hatching thier own young, but will be removed to other places for setting.

Pictures would be a wonderful thing, I love to look at pens, and seeing your birds would be a bonus!

Thanks for you ideas,

#97049 - 06/16/11 12:39 AM Re: silkie breeding pens [Re: ministerman]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Ministerman, have you had a look at the sticky topic at the top of this section titled Helpful links. There are some good chicken coop designs on that and if you scroll down the page of the first link, it gives you some recommended space for different sized birds.

Also further down the page is a topic that I started when looking for good designs to build my own backyard coop. There are some very good links posted in that topic too.

#97169 - 06/22/11 02:38 AM Re: silkie breeding pens [Re: Foehn]
ministerman Offline
Feather

Loc: Canada
whe I go to the first link that is listed, Most of the links don't open. Got some other info though. Thanks

#97171 - 06/22/11 03:04 AM Re: silkie breeding pens [Re: ministerman]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Originally Posted By: ministerman
when I go to the first link that is listed, Most of the links don't open. Got some other info though. Thanks

Thanks for that ministerman. Must be time I checked them all again.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2