Topic Options
#97266 - 06/26/11 11:42 AM 4 wk old chkn- hvy breathing, lethargic, eyes shut
Coopster Offline
New Egg

Loc: PEI Canada
I have 18 chickens, four weeks old - we are having a cool spring/early summer so we do have a heat lamp on for them.
One is very lethargic, eyes are closed most of the time and breathing heavily. We have isolated her and she is now opening her mouth constantly when we are checking on her. But she is always sprawled out barely breathing when we first check on her. I have been researching and it appears that heart attacks in young meat chickens are common as they grow too quickly? Is there anything I can give her? Like an aspirin or anything??
THANKS

#97267 - 06/26/11 02:09 PM Re: 4 wk old chkn- hvy breathing, lethargic, eyes shut [Re: Coopster]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
Is the bird eating? Drinking? If it is drinking, give it an energy boost with honey in the water. If it is eating, put a tiny amount of cod liver oil on a piece of bread.

Is it too hot? Too close to the heat source? That will make them sprawl out and pant.

#97270 - 06/26/11 06:52 PM Re: 4 wk old chkn- hvy breathing, lethargic, eyes shut [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Coopster Offline
New Egg

Loc: PEI Canada
Not too hot - it has been away from the heat lamp all day in isolation. Not really eating or drinking, just heavy breathing. I contacted a friend who is in training to be a vet and told her my heart attack theory on it growing too quickly and she said that is most likely the cause... and that its genetic, nothing would help. I did try to give it electrolytes but like I said, not really eating or drinking.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2