Topic Options
#96889 - 06/11/11 03:06 PM New Goose Bullying
Gooseys Offline
Chick

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello
I got a new gander today for my single female domestic goose after her mate was lost in February.
She has been attacking him and being very aggresive. Is this normal? Or have I got a female goose by mistake and not a gander? It is from an animal rescue.
Thanks for any advice I just want happy geese!

#96920 - 06/12/11 07:46 AM Re: New Goose Bullying [Re: Gooseys]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
It is normal and there is nothing you can do about it. Geese are very selective in choosing their mates and you can't force them to love each other(it applies to chickens too,and majority of other creatures).

This link perhaps can be usefull for you:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/livestock/poultry/species/geese-raising/breeds-and-breeding

#96932 - 06/12/11 12:42 PM Re: New Goose Bullying [Re: Wieslaw]
Gooseys Offline
Chick

Thank you for reply. You think it is a gander I have then? I feel so sorry for him he is sweet and being bulied.
Last time I had a single gander and got a mate and they were lovely together so this is a shame. I felt sorry for her on her own. Do you think they will start getting on or should I take him back to the rescue?

#96933 - 06/12/11 12:51 PM Re: New Goose Bullying [Re: Gooseys]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

It is difficult to predict. Obviously your gander was not that choosy. All you can do is to observe them for a little longer. Or you can borrow one goose more and see if the changed 'configuration' will help. If the new goose will bond with the gander, maybe your old goose will be willing to make a triangle. But this is of course just speculation.

#97644 - 07/12/11 01:01 PM Re: New Goose Bullying [Re: Wieslaw]
Gooseys Offline
Chick

Hi wieslaw

I am glad to say that the geese are getting on fine now and sharing a feeder and everything.
Thanks for all your help this site is brilliant.
I have one more question however which I should probably put under a new heading and its about the new gander. When he walks he makes a clicking sound. This is only my third goose but the other two did not click when they walked. Any ideas?

Thanks

#97645 - 07/12/11 02:45 PM Re: New Goose Bullying [Re: Gooseys]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

You mean with his legs?

#97697 - 07/15/11 09:00 AM Re: New Goose Bullying [Re: Wieslaw]
Gooseys Offline
Chick

Hi Wieslaw
Sorry for slow reply I cannot seem to answer on my phone so had to wait until I had laptop.
Yes it is his legs. He seems to get aroung fine but with every step it is click click click.
Just wondered if I should be concerned?
Thanks again for help

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Wieslaw