Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#9775 - 05/03/08 11:43 AM Mites
Bonita Offline
Feather

Loc: California
I have 6 hens in a very large and very well ventillated hen house down in the backyard. The floor is dirt with lots of chipped branches and leaves. The roosts are branches, eucalyptus and such. Lately, all birds have become sort of infested with what I'll call little brownish mites. They gather around their eyes, throats, and combs. On the recommendation of our local feed store, I bought some Dura Dust (5% carbaryl insecticide) from them and have been dusting the hens, but the bugs keep coming back.

What's up with this? I'd like to help the birds but am becoming a little frustrated. Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome indeed.

#9776 - 05/03/08 07:05 PM Re: Mites
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Use the "search" feature at the top, and there should be several old threads that address the problem of mites. Good luck!

#9777 - 05/03/08 07:13 PM Re: Mites
Bonita Offline
Feather

Loc: California
Thanks, Rhea Dean. I searched per instruction. On second thought, I am not sure what they have are actually mites. We had mites years ago, and I recall them showing up as a sort of wetish looking whiteness. These are not at all like that. These are like little brown beetles, round and the size of a pinhead. Any idea of what they might be? Or how to find out what they are?

#9778 - 05/05/08 11:36 PM Re: Mites
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
If the problem persists, and if the weather is nice, you can give your birds a bath with flea and tick shampoo. But only if the weather is quite warm and they will not get chilled when they dry. But if the problem IS mites, this will kill the mites on the bird, but not the mites that are going to crawl on your bird again when they get back in their pen. Mites (depending on their type) live in the hen house and only go on your hens at dinner time. You have to treat the PEN to get this problem under control. As said before, the search function will give you much to think about on this topic!

#9779 - 05/06/08 08:11 AM Re: Mites
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The two most common mites have different living arrangements, but both can be deadly to chickens. The Northern Fowl Mite lives on the bird, lays eggs on the feathers, mainly around the vent (like ashy clusters) that hatch every week. And they feast on the blood of the chickens, sometimes in huge numbers. Treatment requires getting the powder or liquid ON the mites. Residual effect is minimal. When they are in huge numbers on the bird, some will migrate across the pens at phenominal speed for such microscopic creatures. This is the only time you can kill them in the pens, not on the birds.

Red mites crawl on the roosts to the birds at night, then leave the bird to gather together and "plan their next nightime picnic". In daytime, Red mites are clustered about the roost area, walls of the coop, and sometimes can be seen in the daytime in their red clusters, maybe size of a quarter or 50cent piece. They are red from the blood from the night before feast! If you see such clusters, you can smear them with your finger-and they are GONE. Or spray the clusters of mites.

Both kinds of mites, can make birds anemic to the death and also very uncomfortable, but do not necessarily cause feathers to drop--so can be totally hidden and you will be unaware of their presence!

Get them---but mites become immune to many powders and sprays, so it is a never ending search for them! And there is a need to change potions now and then. The topical applications of Ivermec type treatment has been successful, but requires real care, or will kill birds!

A bath in a miticide is a longer term treatment when you can do it--and the birds look so beautiful after dry from a bath. Good luck CJR

#9780 - 05/06/08 09:44 AM Re: Mites
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
I use a mixture of rotenone dust and sevin 5 dust in a pest dusting pistol. I dust especially all around the vent, thighs, under the wings and at the base of the neck and base of tail. The pistol is great allowing me to dust deep in the feathers with not hardly any effort:

http://www.biconet.com/tools/pp.html

You could just use sevin if you do not want to buy the rotenone:

http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/roi.html

Rotenone comes in a spray also:

http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/rps.html

I've used the Ivermectin as well. If you want instructions on the Ivermectin, do a search or ask me and I'll explain it. It helps tremendoulsy if you have someone assisting you in doing the above.

Good Luck!

#9781 - 05/06/08 09:49 AM Re: Mites
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Just a word of caution. Since this forum can be viewed by anyone, anywhere, you all don't need to be disclosing information about using products that are not intended for poultry. Use the private message feature for such information.

#9782 - 05/06/08 01:15 PM Re: Mites
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Understood, Rhea Dean, & so edited.

#9783 - 05/06/08 01:49 PM Re: Mites
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
rotenone has been linked to parkinson's disease and is no longer accepted as an organic pesticide.

#9784 - 05/08/08 03:17 PM Re: Mites
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Rotenone was approved for organic farming in the past but has not been reviewed for approval at this time.

The link to Parkinson's disease you refer to is rather far-fetched, founded on several assumptions & based upon a study where they injected rotenone in rats for 5 weeks (and high doses); its lifespan in the environment is only 6 days but longer in water. Rotenone is naturally occuring in many subtropical & tropical plants. It IS NOT absorbed through the skin.

Inject ANY pesticide in a mammal's body for 5 weeks and your likely to have all sorts of problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box