Topic Options
#97871 - 07/23/11 07:06 AM Smallish Barred Rocks
Fishlady Offline
Chick

Loc: Oregon
I bought three barred rock chicks to add to my flock of Australorps.. One of the BR's is a rooster and I was excited at first because I thought the BR/Aussie cross would produce nice meat birds. However, the BR's are almost 5 months old and they are much smaller than I expected. They are larger than bantams but not near as large as my Aussies. I'm beginning to think I should keep them separated so they don't cross. What should I do? Thanks..

#97880 - 07/23/11 02:12 PM Re: Smallish Barred Rocks [Re: Fishlady]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
If your barred rocks are standard birds they should grow to a big bird. Heavy breeds often take a longer time to mature than the light breeds, so be patient for a while longer. If you know how the parent birds looked, then you should get similar quality.

#97882 - 07/23/11 07:07 PM Re: Smallish Barred Rocks [Re: Foehn]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
If the birds came from a hatchery then you cannot be sure what they will finish out like. Those are bred for quantity, not quality, so size, shape and markings can vary tremendously.

#97885 - 07/23/11 11:01 PM Re: Smallish Barred Rocks [Re: Foehn]
Fishlady Offline
Chick

Loc: Oregon
Thanks for the quick reply. The rooster is putting on more size all of the sudden but the two hens are pretty small, I would guess 3 1/2-4 lbs. I bought them at a feed store that had them listed as a heavy breed. The rooster is a beautiful bird with nice, bright markings. The pullets are darker with nice conformation and bright red combs. Nice birds, just small. I will be interested in what size eggs I get!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn