Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98252 - 08/10/11 11:38 AM Pipping at wrong end - causes?
ssc Offline
Chicken

Loc: uk
Hello All (first post)
If a chick pips at the wrong end (eggs stored point down less than 7 days then incubated on sides in Brinsea Ova Easy) is this faulty handling/incubating techniques, or likely to be a genetic fault which may perpetuate if the bird is added to the breeding pen.
Many thanks

#98259 - 08/10/11 04:13 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: ssc]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Welcome to the coop. I do not know if it is genetic(it would be difficult to remember and follow the trait), and what the cause might be. But I had several this spring and they all hatched without problems. So I do not think you should be worried about it. And if they would die, the trait would not be passed on, so the problem would be solved by itself.
While candling the eggs I have observed that some eggs have their air chamber on a side of the egg instead of at the top. But I do not remember if it had a bad influence on hatching.

#98263 - 08/11/11 01:27 AM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Wieslaw]
ssc Offline
Chicken

Thanks for that - food for thought, and of course as you say, if it is a problem is resolves itself naturally.

#98265 - 08/11/11 06:11 AM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: ssc]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
I normally incubate my eggs in an auto turner that holds them upright (air space up) and have never had a chick pip at the wrong end. A couple times I set some eggs (same type) horizontally and hand turned and had a few pip at the wrong end. Those hatched without a problem as well but I think it is probably more related to egg position than anything.

#98267 - 08/11/11 09:10 AM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Richard in MA]
ssc Offline
Chicken

Thanks for that Richard, I might try and see if I can get some trays to hold them upright in the Ova-Easy. Love the colours of the eggs in you Avatar smile

#98290 - 08/13/11 03:35 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: ssc]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I hatch with the eggs laying on their side, like they do in a nest and I turn them by hand. Supposed to be three times a day, but sometimes only once every 24 hours (lazy!)

I get some that hatch the regular way, some that hatch the irregular way. As long as they don't find slime or water in the egg, they can often make it. I do not know what cuases the position problems.

Wiselaw, air sacs belong in the fat end of the egg. If they show up anywhere else, there is a problem. WHen I have eggs sent to me in the mail / bus / airplane, the air sacs are usually collapsed or knocked out of position. These eggs have a lower hatch rate, but I set them anyway. I usually prop them fat end up in little paper collars and rotate them, but not lay them on their side and turn them. SOme still make it. BUt an airsac should be at the fat end.

#98291 - 08/13/11 04:46 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Uno]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

Yes, I know the air sacs belong to the fat end , but they are not always aware of this.

#98303 - 08/14/11 08:15 AM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Wieslaw]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Those pesky air sacs! I hate it when they go wandering around! WHy can't they just stay where they belong?

Wieslaw, do you find the air sacs are displaced in fresh eggs from your own hens? OR does this happen to eggs someone sent you for hatching? I have never had a 'moved' air sac if the eggs are fresh from my own hens. Shipping eggs really seems to mess them up though. I would be very curious to find out WHY the air sacs are off centre, if this is happening in fresh eggs from your own birds.

#98350 - 08/16/11 06:05 PM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Uno]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

Hi Uno, yes, but very rarely. I don't know the reason why.

#98361 - 08/17/11 09:48 AM Re: Pipping at wrong end - causes? [Re: Wieslaw]
Wieslaw Online   content
Classroom Professor

I have a correction to my previous posting. My wife has boiled some eggs from my youngsters.Here is a selection

She said that it actually happens often and was very suprised that it is 'not normal'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2