Topic Options
#98413 - 08/20/11 07:31 AM My girl is shrugging?? Lethargic, looks ill
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
I don't know how else to describe her symptoms. She looks like she's shrugging..she's lethargic, standing up, not laying down, just not moving very fast, she's doing that blinking thing they do when they don't feel well. Her tail's up and she looks good otherwise. What could this be?? Want to try to catch it in early phase if possible.

#98415 - 08/20/11 09:00 AM Re: My girl is shrugging?? Lethargic, looks ill [Re: Stick Dog]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Shrugging like something in the throat? Shrugging like unable to poop? Still so difficult to diagnose. Is her crop empty? Is she a layer? Sometimes trying to pass a soft shelled eggs will give similar symptoms==and once the egg is passed, hen is just fine again. Do not squeeze or risk breaking an egg in the canal. And if she is with other birds, it is wise to separate her, so she will not be damaged by other birds--who are not kind to sick or ailing penmates. Offer feed and water, but do not force feed, as that is often harmful until you have a better idea of her problem. Good luck, CJR

#98416 - 08/20/11 09:15 AM Re: My girl is shrugging?? Lethargic, looks ill [Re: CJR]
Stick Dog Offline
Chicken

Loc: Kansas
Shrugging as in her head and "shoulders" area. She's not walking upright like a penguin so I didn't suspect egg problems but I'll keep an eye on her. Not sure how to separate her without picking her up and so far they're leaving her alone. Thanks for the advice!!

#98475 - 08/21/11 06:23 PM Re: My girl is shrugging?? Lethargic, looks ill [Re: Stick Dog]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I agree with CJR, something stuck in her throat was my first thought. To separate her, walk into the pen with a laundry basket and drop it over her, voila, instant separation pen. This will protect her from other birds. If you have to move her, just sort of shove the laundry basket slowly with your foot, she'll walk along inside/ underneath. Provide water. You might have to try and look down her throat and see if you can see anything. Good luck!

Edited by Uno (08/21/11 06:24 PM)

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2