Topic Options
#98476 - 08/21/11 07:39 PM sick hen
TIFFSHENS Offline
New Egg

Loc: SAN DIEGO CA
Hello, i have a 1 year old hen who is very sick. She is stumblimg around,lays down most the time shes very pale she eats and drinks fine but lays in the bowls and seems very drunk like. Ive checked for all kinds of things shes dosent seem to be getting worse but its been almost a month and shes not getting any better. I thought maybe she was bit by a spider or something but now i just dont know and i cant stand to see her so sad. Any help would be awsome. Thanks!!

#98479 - 08/21/11 09:51 PM Re: sick hen [Re: TIFFSHENS]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Doesn't sound just like symptoms of Marek's Disease, which is a viral disease causing paralysis of one leg (usually) then the wing on the same side, then the other leg and wing and they go down, not able to walk, but still eat and drink,if they can reach food and water. Death is inevitable, but NO PAIN . There are other forms, including tumors. No treatment, no cure. Few survivors are carriers for life, so not a good thing. However, if one bird is exposed,all the birds are, but may not ever show symptoms (natural immunity==rare, but happens). Not much help. But the stumbling might indicate Marek's early symptoms. It often develops very fast, even sudden death, but may come on slowly==! Very Sorry..... CJR

Edited by CJR (08/21/11 09:53 PM)

#98492 - 08/22/11 01:30 PM Re: sick hen [Re: CJR]
TIFFSHENS Offline
New Egg

Loc: SAN DIEGO CA
I looked into the Marek's Disease and kinda seem like that could be whats wrong. One day she was fine and then the next just dropped and has been in the same condition for a month now her leg dosent stick out like ive seen or read about she just has no balance i dont see any tumers and all my other chickens seem fine for now. Dose anyone know more about this i know if its mareks i cant save her but im not sure and hate to se her so sad. Thanks for the reply

#98508 - 08/23/11 03:19 AM Re: sick hen [Re: TIFFSHENS]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Marek's does not cause pale combs as far as I know(or does it?). I think your hen can be heavily infested with worms(can cause leg paralysis) in her intestines. Try to deworm her(quickly)

#98533 - 08/24/11 04:39 AM Re: sick hen [Re: Wieslaw]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
I would also suggest checking for parasites- both internal and external.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2