Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#98605 - 08/26/11 11:04 PM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: yes]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
What was the humidity like in your incubator throughout the 21 days? Too much humidity and the eggs don't dry out enough which can lead to chicks "drowning" in the sticky moisture left in the egg. This usually happens when they start pipping, so can look fully formed, but wet and dead.

Wiselaw's water test you can still try, it won't contribute to the above statement.

#98608 - 08/27/11 01:14 AM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: Foehn]
yes Offline
Feather

Loc: victoria,australia
The humidity was set to 45% for the first 18 days, and then 65%. There is one chick pipping now, and another egg is moving. I even heard a little cheep just now. All is not lost! Thank you guys for caring!

#98609 - 08/27/11 03:45 AM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: yes]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

That's great news. All the best for a good hatch.

#98621 - 08/27/11 06:11 PM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: Foehn]
yes Offline
Feather

I now have 3 pipping, and another rocking. I can hear the chicks peeping in the incubator.

It's funny, the first egg/chick, seems to respond to my voice. I look for a while, there is no movement, then when I speak, the egg starts rocking and he/she cheeps.

I hope they hatch OK. I love them already!

#98622 - 08/27/11 06:16 PM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: yes]
yes Offline
Feather

I can see my first chick. The hole is larger. She's hatching!!

#98624 - 08/27/11 08:30 PM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: yes]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

This always gets me excited. I love baby chicks.

#98627 - 08/27/11 10:32 PM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: Foehn]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Hope all continues to go well! If you hatch again and you're not sure if the chick is alive or not, tap the egg with your fingernail. If the chick has broken into the air space but hasn't quite pipped the shell yet, your tap should make him peep. I tend to tap and listen, like sending little morse code messages.

#98630 - 08/28/11 02:06 AM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: Uno]
yes Offline
Feather

Two more chicks have hatched in the last half hour.

I will try again later next month. I have learnt a lot these past few days.

Next time I will calibrate the incubator properly. And I will know how to test for life in the egg, - the water test, - and now morse code.

Number two is very vocal, - he hasn't stopped cheeping since he broke out!

#98647 - 08/28/11 11:31 PM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: yes]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Congratulations Yes!

Just a note, chicks often do peep when they hatch. Once you put this last guy in with his buddies in the brooder, he should quiet down after a while. You will learn that the noise they make can tell you if there is a problem.

If my chicks get cold they start to yell. If one gets separated and can't get back, it starts to yell. If I hear no peeping at all I check to make sure they aren't too hot. If they are too hot they will just lay there limply and die. Healthy, comfortable chicks should make a quiet, sweet chirring sound. Every now and then someone will peck someone ele in the eye or grab their toe and then there is a squawk. Bot overall the sounds coming from your brooder should be quiet and content.

If you have a lot of loud, piercing cheeping, something isn't right OR there is a health problem or birth defect. One chick alone can also suffer from lack of cuddling (by nature chicks like to snuggle up to something) so if you have one lonely, screaming chick, give it a little stuffed toy to buddy up with. You will learn to use your eyes AND your ears to determine how your chicks are doing. Good luck!

#98650 - 08/29/11 02:12 AM Re: eggs rocking. [Re: Uno]
yes Offline
Feather

Thanks Uno,

I have 5 chicks now, and they are all together in the brooder. The Sussex, and the Welsummer take it in turns to sleep in one of the feed containers. So cute. Two of the chicks had splayed legs, so I had to hobble them.

The last chick, a Welsummer, didn't make it.

They're happy, - so am I!!!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn