Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98842 - 09/06/11 04:53 AM injured cormorant
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
Not exactly poultry related, grin. I have a cormorant with a compound fracture just above the right hock. It's set and taped and s/he seems alert and is preening. It won't eat yet. Any suggestions? The smelts have been in the freezer a long time, any other suggestions? How long till I can untape and allow limited exercise? How am I going to allow exercise without freeing it yet? Since they have to be able to paddle to eat, I need to be sure the leg will hold up before releasing it. The toes are warm, the foot can lay flat and the muscle tone in the leg is good. The area where the bone came through is nice and pink, healthy looking, so I think it was a fresh injury when I took it home. Any suggestions?

Jocelyn

#98843 - 09/06/11 06:11 AM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Jocelyn]
Richard in MA Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Massachusetts
The bird is likely going to need to be tubed in order to feed it. Have you done this type of rehab work before? There are many other facets to rehabing wild birds and their nutritional requirements, especially sea birds. When dealing with these guys you often run into species specific issues that require knowledge of how to work around them. I suggest conatcting a local rehab center or zoo and see what they can offer.

#98847 - 09/06/11 06:40 AM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Richard in MA]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

There isn't a local rehab centre or zoo....none that I am aware of, anyway. The SPCA won't help and didn't have any suggestions. I can try fish and wildlife though, I hadn't thought of them. I'll let you know how it goes.

#98850 - 09/06/11 07:39 AM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Jocelyn]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Fish and Wildlife suggested the Vet Teaching Hospital, and will call me back shortly. They may even take him too, and rehab him. I'll let you know how it goes. Oh, and yes, I have raised a baby robin, he lived another 4 or 5 years and brought the MRS and the chicks here. Not a sea bird though, and I know they are different.

#98866 - 09/06/11 11:02 PM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Jocelyn]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
How about a picture of the bird?

#98871 - 09/07/11 03:37 AM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Maria Ricardo]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Here is a picture of the little fellow. Hard to get him to eat, so I might have to take him into the Vet college. There is no wildlife person there till next week, but they said they might still take him.

#98873 - 09/07/11 03:47 AM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Jocelyn]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
As a curiosity: cormorants are the most versatile birds of all, as they are good at swimming, diving , flying , standing and walking.(which is very rare). In Denmark their eggs are sprayed with oil so they do not hatch, as their numbers exploded in recent years

#98876 - 09/07/11 10:46 AM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Wieslaw]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

As far as I know, cormorants are in balance with their surroundings here, at this time. The little guy finally ate a full meal today. Before it was only 1 or 2 smelts a day, today, quite a bit of cut up fish on a stick...tease till he snaps, pull stick back fast while his mouth is still closed, and GULP, down it goes. His injured foot is a little hot today though, so it looks like he'll need a trip to Town after all.

#98877 - 09/07/11 03:36 PM Re: injured cormorant [Re: Jocelyn]
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Best of luck with this cormorant! What a great experience! Our native song birds are quick to mend broken wings/legs, if supported (and if they will continue to eat). We have double crested cormorants here--fresh water, and inland nesting and far from the sea! They are relative newcomers (20-25 years ), and lake "fishermen", largely at our largest wildlife refuge, but they stop to fish at my slough, along with many other water birds. So glad he landed where he could get support! CJR

#98880 - 09/07/11 04:56 PM Re: injured cormorant [Re: CJR]
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

I think he's feeling better, he just polished off 12 smelts in less than an hour. LOL

The bone is a good clean break too, no shattering. I'll change the bandage tomorrow and see how it looks. It's time for a clean one anyway...he jumped in his bucket after the smelts...must have suddenly decided to make up for lost time....very hungry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2