Topic Options
#99178 - 09/23/11 02:55 PM broody hens
jsayles86 Offline
New Egg

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I am considering raising poultry and am in the research phase. I would like to understand more about broody hens. As I am interested only in eggs, I assume I would not want a breed that often goes broody. If you have a hen that goes broody, what do you do? If eggs are collected every day, does that keep the hen from going broody? I read a post recently that said hens could starve themselves to death if they refuse to leave the nest. Does this happen?
Any information would be appreciated.

#99184 - 09/23/11 04:43 PM Re: broody hens [Re: jsayles86]
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
Hens from so called 'non-broody' breeds can also get broody sometimes, although possibly more rarely than real broody breeds. I have had several Leghorns and Minorcas get broody. I have not personally experienced death from starvation in broody hens, because I check them often. There is no such thing as 'they refuse to leave the nest'. YOU ARE THE BOSS! NOT THEM!

#99188 - 09/23/11 06:19 PM Re: broody hens [Re: Wieslaw]
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
Collecting eggs will not prevent them from going broody, (although it may deter them ever so slightly).

#99189 - 09/23/11 06:36 PM Re: broody hens [Re: IPF]
Maria Ricardo Offline
Past Moderator
Coop Keeper

Loc: Hawaii
If a hen goes broody and you don't want her to hatch eggs, put her in a wire bottomed cage with no nesting material for a few days. Food, water and shelter from the weather are important. Also, check her for external parasites and treat if necessary. If, when you let her out of the cage she goes back to the nest, she needs more time in the cage.

#99191 - 09/23/11 08:22 PM Re: broody hens [Re: Wieslaw]
jsayles86 Offline
New Egg

Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Good point! Thank you

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn