Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99389 - 10/06/11 02:07 PM Experimental hatch
Wieslaw Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Denmark
I have just finished an experimental hatch. I have done absolutely everything against 'must do'. Some of the eggs I collected for hatching were dirty with poop on. I washed them with an ordinary hand soap. I was incubating dry from the beginning to the end, with long breaks (one of at least 7 hours). At least 3 times the temperature went well over 39 degrees for unknown period of time. The result was: all the fertilized eggs hatched with absolutely no difference to the 'perfect situation'. Do not understand that I encourage you to do it. But my conclusion is that all that hocus-pocus rituals in every hatching recipe do not have that much importance. The most important thing are healthy birds with good genetics.
I had experimental hatches before but this time I added washing of dirty eggs with a soap(which is always on 'forbidden list'). It DOES NOT HAVE a negative effect on the development of an embryo.

#99392 - 10/06/11 09:02 PM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: Wieslaw]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
YES! YES! YES!

If you were here I'd hug you! You are so right. We stress and stress and stress about doing everything 'just so' in the incubator. I think people have to just put those eggs in there and tend them, but not worry themselves sick over proper turning, proper humidty, proper egg handling prior to incubating. I agree with you Wieslaw, I think genetics and healthy birds have a LOT more to do with successful hatches than the incubator does.

I dry hatch. I wash dirty eggs. I turn them once every 12 hours if I remember, once every 24 hours if I forget. I try to keep the temp where it should be, but sometimes there are spikes and dips. And if the genetics are strong, those eggs hatch. Some hatches are great, some not so much. But I think it's the parent birds that determine a lot of this. Bymaking us think we can do it 'right' in the incubator, we are also set up to take the blame when things go wrong. It just shouldn't be that way. I think there are huge factors that are out of our hands, like the genetics of the eggs we set. Good post, Wieslaw!

#99396 - 10/07/11 09:43 AM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: Uno]
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
We just have to BLAME something, someone, for everything that "goes wrong". To be sure, there are reasons for failures, but not always what we "think is wrong" or are "told it is wrong" or "read someplace"!

Experience is indeed the best teacher, together with some good information---LET THE EGGS HATCH from birds with good genetics--our responsibility to feed and choose--AND still love the neglected hen who comes off from a stolen nest, hidden in a varmint infested area, with a great hatch of active, lovely chicks! CJR

#107877 - 01/18/13 10:10 PM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: CJR]
Murray Offline
Chick

Loc: Western Australia
Hi was just wondering if anyone has done a dry incubation experiment on duck eggs?
I don't have ducks personally but was wondering as people have used chooks to incubate duck eggs.
I have just started a dry incubation experiment of my own in a king suro.

#107879 - 01/19/13 02:32 AM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: Murray]
Viola Offline
Chick

Loc: Sweden
We had ducks some years ago and incubated a couple of times but we never tried dry incubation.
What I think is that duck-eggs maybe need more moist than chicken-eggs. If you think that the mother-duck goes to the water to take a swim and then goes back to her eggs then she is propably wet so that is why I thinkt the humidity is higher with the duckegg.
But maybe that is wrong, I donīt know so it is really interesting that you are experimenting about this. Please write about the results when you know. :-)

#107881 - 01/19/13 03:21 AM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: Viola]
Murray Offline
Chick

I have only put some chook eggs in it but I told a friend about it so he put a couple duck eggs in with some chicken eggs ,
it is the wrong time of year for hatching , but I had spare eggs and wanted to see if it works here as well as oversea's,
you see so many get hanged up on the humidity levels on our lacal forums trying to get 60% humidity then follow up with why did so many fully form and die or pip then die.
I have always used 45% myself.

#107912 - 01/20/13 10:59 PM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: Murray]
jonnydot Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: australia
I have found with incubation that ambient humidity is fine throughout the hatch .One of the biggest hurdles is with fan forced bators is getting the fan to blow a soft breeze ,too much CFM causes early pippers and those that straggle to zipp to dry out causing a a dry layer over what is left of the albumen fluid and the chicks are then stuck,this can happen even if you run humidity at lock down at 70% hygrometer value .The humidity in my area usually floats between 40-65% on average ,I would however assume that if one was in a dry area where humidity was regularly below 20-25 % that water may be of benefit to the growing embryo's

#107914 - 01/20/13 11:38 PM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: jonnydot]
Murray Offline
Chick

I had used this same incubator when I had a broody chased of her nest twice in a row and didn't come back , I stuck them in and disconected the water pump for the last week they hatched fine ,
no sign of piping when I went to bed next morning all out and fluffed up.
Even with no water it is still reading 65% humidity at the moment yet outside it is 52%

Edited by Murray (01/20/13 11:40 PM)
Edit Reason: Add a bit

#108148 - 01/28/13 04:16 AM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: Murray]
Murray Offline
Chick

I just got told by my friend that he has had a duckling hatch in his incubator that has had no added humidity , it was under a broody hen for the first 2 weeks tho.

#108384 - 02/08/13 06:37 PM Re: Experimental hatch [Re: Murray]
Murray Offline
Chick

My eggs are just starting to hatch 4 out so far and a few more are piping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2