Topic Options
#92711 - 11/16/10 02:48 PM American Buckeye Poultry Club
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
As many of you know or may not know, I have served as the President of the American Buckeye Poultry Club (ABPC). We had our first national meet at the Ohio National in Columbus last weekend. Unfortunately because of work I could not attend but the Buckeyes were, for a first, the largest number of large fowl that showed. We have many knew Buckeye breeders who are doing very well.

A little controversy arose I wanted to address at the show and well, our Club's Secretary, Laura Haggarty puts it best:

Quote:
" . . .I want to address an issue that has cropped up on the “other” Buckeye Yahoo Group (which was started a year after the American Buckeye Poultry Club Yahoo Group.)

The ABPC Yahoo Group was created (by me) in 2008 for the purpose of gathering folks who wanted to start an official breed club for the Buckeye chicken. An official breed club is almost always:

a) A registered non-profit within a given state (usually the home state of the Secretary/Treasurer of the club), renewed each year
b) An Associate Member of the American Poultry Association and the American Bantam Association (the ABPC is also a member of the ALBC.)
c) Has an elected Executive, holds at least one meeting per year, provides minutes and financial reports to members, and sends out newsletters
d) Sponsors “Meets” at various APA/ABA sanctioned shows which are judged by licensed judges.
e) Generally provides trophies and awards to the breed club winners at the various sanctioned shows.
f) Provides information to the public at large to educate others about the breed (articles in magazines and newspapers, displays at shows and so on.)

The American Buckeye Poultry Club, does all of those things and more. And fwiw, our Vice President is a licensed APA judge who has been breeding poultry for a very long time.

The “other” Yahoo group has, since it was started, billed itself as the “original” Buckeye club, although I am not sure how that works (the first Buckeye club was established back in 1909, and petered out sometime in the 1950s or so.) Just because someone calls themselves something, doesn’t make it true. I will also point out that that other club (which was “re-established” a year after this club was started), is none of the things I list above, it’s run by one person with a website and a Yahoo group who goes out of his way to delete posts on that group which he doesn’t like.

At any rate, I am writing all this to address an issue being raised on that “other” list about the ABPC.

The Ohio National show was held this past weekend in Columbus. Prior to the show I sent out an email (on November 9th) to members of the ABPC Yahoo Group letting everyone on that list know that only club members were eligible to win trophies, and let them know if they wished to be eligible for same, they should join before the show.

The trophies are paid for by the ABPC (actually, this year they were paid for by me, and I have not been reimbursed by anyone, not the ABPC, not the APA, nor the OH National club themselves.) Breed club trophies are given out to those who win at a show, who are members of the club. The Ohio National (and most other shows) does not, and doubtless cannot, provide trophies for BB and RB of each and every breed of chicken that shows. Imagine how many trophies that would be! Most shows only provide trophies for Class winners (American, Asiatic and so on.) It is up to “official” breed clubs (like the ABPC, who are members of the APA and ABA) to provide trophies for their members should they wish to.

I will note that some shows do provide a financial incentive to breed clubs to encourage them to hold their national meets at their shows. This year the ABPC did not get such an incentive, and when Bob Gilbert asked about it, was told by two different show officials that no such money would be forthcoming. So the money for the trophies I bought will either be paid for by me, or I will have the ABPC reimburse me. So the Ohio National did not pay for the trophies, as is being suggested by the "other" group.

The “other” Yahoo group has a series of messages being posted now slamming the ABPC because a ten year-old girl won Reserve Champion in the Open class (with the first placing cockerel), and she did not get a trophy from our club. Unfortunately, because her family did not join the ABPC before judging started, she was not eligible for a trophy. I will note that her father did ask to join the club after seeing that his daughter had won RB, but again, that’s not how these things work.

Folks should be aware that such a policy is not just one specific to the ABPC, it’s the policy of every breed club I’ve ever been a member of or dealt with (most of them at one time or another, either as a member or as a show secretary.) The rule is, if you’re not a member of the breed club by the time the judge starts the judging that morning at 9 am, you are not eligible for a trophy, be you 99 or 2.

Personally, I am sorry that a ten year old child didn’t get a trophy. But honestly, I am upset that the “other” club is going out of their way to cast aspersions on the ABPC because of it.

I am banned from posting on that group (I just tried again to join and was rejected by the “owner”), and cannot rebut his erroneous messages there. But I can post here, and would be happy to discuss this topic here should anyone have any questions about it.

I spoke to Jen a short while ago, waking her up after a long car ride home. She is going to pull together the official list of winners and send me the minutes from the ABPC meeting when she can get them typed up. Minutes and a copy of the financial report will be sent to all ABPC members. And if you have questions about joining the American Buckeye Poultry Club, feel free to email me offline, I'm happy to help.

Thank you,

Laura Haggarty
Secretary/Treasurer
American Buckeye Poultry Club

If anybody has any questions about this, please feel free to contact Laura or myself. You can message me on here (The Coop).

Chris McCary
President

#99607 - 10/18/11 07:15 AM Re: American Buckeye Poultry Club [Re: C. G. McCary]
bluface3 Offline
New Egg

Loc: OH -Home of the Buckeyes
Mr. McCary, the above statement is not entirely true. I tried posting the truth on the BYC and it got deleted. No name calling or any funny business, just the truth.
Sydney and I did try to get a membership well before judging started. Mrs. Haggarty wasn't there and neither was the registration forms. I was rejected from becoming a member due to having no registration forms available. After judging, I told whoever was there that I'd be more than happy to join, just give the little girl a trophy for her cock bird and I'll register online ASAP. I take pride in what I say and what I say is the truth. For your organization to have a "Buckeye National" and reject potential members is odd at best. It's also really sad for only one side of the story allowed being told.

Good luck with your fowl,

Joseph Shumaker

Edited by bluface3 (10/18/11 07:20 AM)

#99608 - 10/18/11 08:29 AM Re: American Buckeye Poultry Club [Re: bluface3]
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Mr. Shumaker:

As I indicated, I was not present at the Ohio Nationals in 2010 so I do not have firsthand knowledge of what occurred so am only going on what others told me.

Thank you for adding your side to the story. I believe what you say and apologize that you were not able to join before the Meet. If I had been at the National Meet last year and heard your side of the story, I would have permitted you joining even if after the Meet.

You are always welcome to join ABPC. Since we are the only Buckeye club affiliated with the APA and ABA, then if you show Buckeyes regularly, you would be a good fit for our club. I am always trying to encourage more folks to show their Buckeyes. IMHO, showing your birds gives exposure to the breed and whether the judging is accurate or not, it at least compels you to try to attain the SOP's description (which I am sure you would agree).

We have District Meets, Special Meets and a National Meet. This year, our National Meet is at the Crossroads in Indianapolis October 28-30 which I am going to be attending. You are welcome at the club's annual meeting. I have requested a poultry judge who knows the Buckeye well as I was able to submit my preferences for the Meet. If you are also attending, please do not hesitate to find me and introduce yourself. We are supposed to have a table set up which I will man a good deal of the time.

Again, my sincere apology to you & your daughter, Sydney. Good luck to you sir.

Best regards,

Christopher McCary, President

#99609 - 10/18/11 09:31 AM Re: American Buckeye Poultry Club [Re: C. G. McCary]
bluface3 Offline
New Egg

Loc: OH -Home of the Buckeyes
Thank you for your kind reply. This would be our first interaction and your response is appreciated. It just agrivated me when my post got deleted from the other site. In no way was I trying to attack in my replies. I just felt that some information was misleading. I've been involved in poultry nearly my entire life and I have never seen such a thing happen. I'm not one to "sling mud," but if I see something that has happen to me directly, I want the story straight. That is not an unfair comment.

In all fairness, I was contacted afterwards by a member of your organization asking what was happening. I was unaware at the time, but a seperate group was making noise (to which at that time, I was unaware of). Some things didn't sit well with them I'm guessing (to which I know now). I'm not on the net much...clearly....(it's almost been a year now since). I was informed that if I joined ABPC, my daughter could still be rewarded. A fair jesture...yes....I asked my daughter her opinion and she really wasn't interested. Please next time, have those registration forms with you. It would save alot of headaches.

Good luck at the upcoming show at the Crossroads, I'm sure the breed will be represented well.

Good luck with your fowl,

-Joseph Shumaker

#99629 - 10/19/11 05:38 AM Re: American Buckeye Poultry Club [Re: bluface3]
Bushman Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Wisconsin
It seems there is a lesson to be derived from the preceding sad story. If you intend to compete for awards, don't wait to join a breed club, or the ABA and APA for that matter, until the day of the show. The USPS was still in business the last time I checked my mailbox, and oftentimes it is possible to join via online internet connection. The hours just before judging begins at a show can be quite hectic, with exhibitors giving their entries a final prep and greeting old friends. They should not be expected to deal with paperwork in that short window of time.
1st John 5:11-12

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Moderator2