Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#95384 - 03/27/11 01:11 AM Re: Brahma project [Re: Choc]
Mountain Man Offline
Chick

Loc: New Zealand
Hi thanks for the interest.

Pictures 1, 6, 7 same parents
Father- Buff Blue Cochin R/ Columbian Plymouth Rock H (messy gold/silver Columbian)
Mother- Jubilee Indian game R/ Black Chinese Langshan H (dominant white black leakage)

Pictures 2&3
Father- Buff Columbian Cochin R/ Dark Brown Indian game H (Red partial black lacing on chest)
Mother- Buff Columbian Cochin

Picture 4
Father- Brother of rooster above although this one had no lacing on chest
Mother- Buff Cochin

Picture 5
Father- Buff Columbian Cochin
Mother- Buff Columbian Cochin R/ Dark Brown Indian Game H (Father to daughter mating)

Pictures 8, 9, 10
Father- Buff Blue Cochin R/ Columbian Plymouth Rock H (messy gold/silver Columbian)
Mother-From sister ‘Same parents’ or from Grandmother.

Ill try get photos of these on soon.

From the F2s i also have a black laced red cockerel ill get a photo of, and a few other odds and ends im planning on removing but will post on here and see if anyone thinks anything may be worth keeping.

Many Thanks

#95385 - 03/27/11 02:19 AM Re: Brahma project [Re: Mountain Man]
Mountain Man Offline
Chick

Here are the parent birds for the previous page.

Rooster for photo 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Hen for 1, 6, 7

Rooster for 2, 3. photo 4 similar father

Hen for photo 5

Father of pic 5 and G.Father of 2, 3, 4.

G.Father of 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

Bit late at night hope i have written that out well enough so it all makes sense.

Cheers for the interest sofar, all help gratefully received.

Bye for now.

#95386 - 03/27/11 02:39 AM Re: Brahma project [Re: Mountain Man]
Poultch Offline
Coop Keeper

HI Mountain Man, welcome to the coop! I dont know why I missed your earlier posts.

I have to re-iterate what MM has said, that there are no Brahma in NZ, and nothing close to international standards, no Malay, the Cochin has been developed and doesn't show the Pti-B, rather Pti-L, the indian games are small, so the road is a hard one, but its do-able.
But what we do have are (some) decent sized sussex, (some) decent sized dottes (no silver pencilled/partridge varieties exist in any LF only bantam dottes), and some fairly leggy langhsans. And Pti-B is only really in the bantam pekin

I've seen MM's chooks and with the greatest respect to the quality of the photos - those 2 first pullets are big girls(of his first post- the gold based wheatons), and the cockeral (black tailed buff wheaton) in pic 4 has real promise (heaps of stature and presence, big broad head and that pre-req dewlap).
MM knows what I think as to a strategy etc but I hope some others will give him some tips.

Edited by Poultch (03/27/11 02:44 AM)

#95387 - 03/27/11 02:59 AM Re: Brahma project [Re: Poultch]
Mountain Man Offline
Chick

Hi there Poultch, thanks for your kind words about the ladies they may oblige with an egg or 2 in your direction, your advice on a strategy will definately have its place.
I was on here with a few quick times last year, and as you do never got round furthering the matter till now.

Also i have since had an offer for reasonably sized wyandotte patridge roosters from the south island, with solid black chests and broken chests for the appropriate mating, do you think one of them may come in handy mated with the lighter of the 2 big pullets?. Getting the chap up will be the tricky thing tho. There are also could be some eggs from patridge plymouth rocks, and wyandotte rock cross eggs. But i was told the size of these birds is average, but colouring is good.
Cheers

#95396 - 03/27/11 01:00 PM Re: Brahma project [Re: Mountain Man]
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Loc: Ohio USA
Looking at what you have to work with, I would toy with taking the big buff girls and putting them under the red/gold and what looks like blue male with feather leggs a couple shots down the page. Work on getting as much size, pea comb, yellow leg color, and foot feathering, and type as you can get out of that line before worrying about adding feather colors much. Once you have established a fairly consistent "Brahma-ish" look, you could put a light Sussex male over some of your gold hens to bring in silver columbian color, and then breed back for type. I would concentrate on building the bird, the colors you can play with as opportunities arise.

#95399 - 03/27/11 02:22 PM Re: Brahma project [Re: Big Medicine]
Mountain Man Offline
Chick

Thanks for the advice Big M,
In regards to the blue one do you mean the one 3rd down this page? If you do hes already been turned into curry...
however i do have a son similar to him.
I fully see you point on what to concentrate on, i have had similar advice from Poultch, who also agrees on that mating with the red/gold roo. I do plan to hatch as many eggs as possible from those 2 big lasses, none of my other hens or pullets are over 3.2kg so i guess its definately important to use those 2 pullets as the main line.
Cheers

#95402 - 03/27/11 03:45 PM Re: Brahma project [Re: Mountain Man]
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

I would use the male in the 5th picture in post 95367, if he's still among us.

#95431 - 03/29/11 01:17 AM Re: Brahma project [Re: Big Medicine]
Mountain Man Offline
Chick

He has not made it to the pot luckily but has a bad case of rickets and limps on one leg, but is hopefully on the mend.

Thankyou for everyones advice sofar.

#99576 - 10/15/11 06:02 PM Re: Brahma project [Re: Mountain Man]
cherylcohen Offline
New Egg

Loc: Northern California
Selling my gorgeous buff laced brahma flock
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=585434

#99638 - 10/19/11 05:27 PM Re: Brahma project [Re: cherylcohen]
Big Medicine Offline
Chicken

Hey everybody, had something a little different turn up in my blue laced red chicks this year. This cockerel is kind of a reversed red laced blue on his back, with a mostly clear red breast. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what we may be dealing with here.

Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Henk69