Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#103415 - 04/18/12 10:37 PM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Wieslaw]
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I have varying numbers of roosters and there are times they get to be too much. Seems the younger ones are always the noisiest, like they have something to prove. I have also noticed that as my roosters get older, they crow less until it takes something pretty serious to set them off. But it takes about 4 years before I notice a decrease in frequency of crowing. I have noticed this in my Australorp roos and my Ameraucana.

I think it's not the volume of a rooster, but the shrill sound, and the unexpected bluntness of it. With a plane moving overhead, you become aware of the sound gradually, when it is at a distance. Your brain adjusts to the fact that it is going to get louder, pass overhead, then the noise will gradually and predictably fade until you don't hear it anymore. It might be loud but it comes slowly, with warning and passes along in a predictable way.

That is not how it goes with roosters. The noise is abrupt and erupts without warning, at any time, and you have no idea if one crow is all it will be, or will there be a volley of 12 in a row? And just as you think he's done and you snuggle into the pillow, oops, no, he's at it again! There is no warning, no warm- up, no predictable pattern of when it starts or ends. It's like having cold water thrown in your face. I find the aural assault to be very jarring and it sets my nerves on edge.

My daughter drives a large, loud dirt bike on the trails all around here, but you hear her bike approach, it zooms by and the noise fades as she moves away. Yet neighbours complain, the same neighbours who run their leaf blowers and chainsaws for hours, and that noise doesn't come and go in a few seconds, it goes on and on and on! (what is it with men revving their chainsaws like they were on dirtbikes? Get a dirtbike and get over it!)

So I think it's the blunt trauma of a rooster, sudden and abrupt, that is more offensive than just the decible factor.

Edited by Uno (04/18/12 10:39 PM)

#103450 - 04/21/12 04:07 AM Re: Sound levels of Cockerels v Planes and other n [Re: Uno]
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Uno
(what is it with men revving their chainsaws like they were on dirtbikes? Get a dirtbike and get over it!)

It's called testosterone Uno. Nice to see you back. I'll email you an update in a few days.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn