As a kid growing up in the 1970's I was schooled by some very harsh winters where we were snowed in for weeks at a time. Snow was too deep and ice covered for typical recreational use and our livestock were severely stressed by not being able to get to forage. I had to spend the bulk of each day getting feed and water to those animals that were scattered at multiple locations that were hundreds of yards apart and with some a couple miles (hog grow out facility). At each location we had small flocks of game chickens that largely had to fend for themselves. Those associated with cattle sheds had toughest go of it since no grain was available. To get eats and stay warm chickens has to get to areas where feed was accessible or where they could forage in heavy cover. Those locations were usually a couple hundred feet at least apart. The chickens did.not like to walk on such snow so they flew. Distances flown were substantial usually making so contact with snow in open was minimal. This was not the only time birds flew such distances but they did it with more regularity and it was easy to see. Since then I acquired an interest in recording their flights and try to understand why they only fly the amount they do. They are more capable in the air than they typically demonstrate so it is not an issue of ability. Shortly I will post some videos showing some flights which maybe of interest to some. The flights are within the realm of easy for these birds and could bettered by more dispersed waypoints and even bettered more if birds stimulated to fly under duress