As soon as all have hatched and are dry, they can be moved from the hen.
I start mine in a deep box, layers of newspaper lined, waterer that is shallow and so they cannot drown, I feed right on the paper for a few days until they are eating well, then a chick feeder. Add a new layer of paper as it is soiled, and every few days roll it up and layer clean papers. DO NOT USE A HEAT LAMP. A regular 60 or 75 W incandescant light over the box will keep them warm. Check heat with a small thermometer on the bottom of the box, under the light!!!! 95degrees for about a week, then drop (by raising the light) 5 degrees a week until they are well feathered and outside temperature in about 70-75F. Larger box as they grow and a screen over the top,. as they will fly out VERY SOON! I dip my finger in the water and hold it to the beak of the chicky. When one learns to find the water, they follow the leader. I tap my wet finger on the chick crumbles and hold that to the beak--drop it off in front of a chick, and then tap, tap the feed --like a hen calls them and drops the crumbles in front of the chick. Again, when one eats, they all do-AND they will instinctively drink and eat, even if you do not "show them", but it is fun to be the "momma hen" for a minute! If you change to pine shavings after a short time, be sure to give them some baby grit in a corner of the box, as they will eat a lot of shavings and it will prime their wee gizzards to process the shavings and avoid poop problems. Great project--goodluck....

Edited by CJR (05/17/15 03:16 PM)