I have a repeat offender on my hands here and I am not sure what to do.
There is either a fox or skunk, from what I can tell, tunneling under my fence (which is dug down into the ground about a foot or so) and into my chicken run. It has happened several times now. The tunnel is about 8" or so wide and it goes really deep. I found the other side of the tunnel about fifteen feet away on the outside, so whatever it is has to be an excellent digger. The first time I found a hole, I tried to flood it out to see if I could find the culprit. But no luck. So I filled the whole with rocks and buried it. Then nothing for about 2 weeks (that same night a small black bear also tried to get into the coop, so i think the fox-skunk must have been scared away). Then, a few days ago, it came back and killed one of my girls. It had dug a new tunnel off of the old one. The weird thing is that though there was a tunnel clearly leading in, the chicken was seemingly killed by having it's head ripped off through the fence about thirty feet away from the tunnel (I found the head on the other side of the fence). And it did not take the chicken. Another one has an injured leg...I am burying chain link into the floor of the run (like I do with gopher mesh in my garden). And trying to go down and check on the chickens around dusk, which is when the incidents occur. Is there anything else to do? I don't like killing things, but if there is another animal killing my livelihood, I'll do what I have to do. What is the best way to trap or kill whatever this is? Is there any kind of animal urine or anything like that that I could put around my coop to keep the bad guys away?