Thank you Rosalyn for your comment and your continued support. The Araucana Club of America would love to see more members who exhibit their birds, and I do believe that by exhibiting your birds you can get a real sense of the quality you have and a way to move forward and improve your quality. At every show I learn something new about my birds both good and bad. I am able to pick the judges brains and speak to breeder of other poultry that are working with the same color I am.

We at the old Araucana Club also realize that not every one ( or very many for that matter) like to or are in a position to exhibit their birds. I know of several breeders who I consider to have very good quality birds and they do not exhibit. They do own copies of the SOP and are aware of what their birds are supposed to look like. They are members of the ACA ( Araucana Club of America) and reach out to other members to learn and evaluate each others birds.

We are a breed club not just for those who want to show, but those who breed or those who just have pets. We even have several members who do not have araucana at all but want to learn about them. I think those types of members have value also.

The comment that the ACA seems to be running itself into the ground I do not understand. We have a small club with less than 200 members which is what it has been for the last 10 years and what one can expect from this quirky little breed of chicken. We have created a new website and added a facebook page. We have been able to encourage 6 new exhibitors, and as Rosalyn pointed out we have had birds on Champion Row and not just once, several times. We send out a newsletter to members 4 times a year. We encourage exhibitors with Rosettes and cash prizes.

We had a fantastic National Meet in 2015 and it was simply amazing to walk into a show and see 61 araucana. Our 2016 National Meet held in January was very good also, with 22 Araucana entered and 6 exhibitors.

In short, the Araucana Club of America is going strong and doing great. We have many years ahead of us and are looking to the future.

Lanae Cash
Araucana Club of America president