Big Medicine,

I was just reviewing the thread and realized that I hadnít answered a couple of your questions.

I do believe that dominant white does reduce gold tones. I have not noticed this in this project so much as in my bantam hamburg/sebright/campine projects. Generally it seems to turn a rich gold bay to mealy buff. However, some of my buff-laced Brahmas have a brilliant golden buff color that I have not obtained in my other work with dominant white. The black lacing is more or less eradicated Ė though it would be cleaned up further with blue.

I have used both buff columbian and darks or partridge early-on for this project, and found it to be more rewarding to use the partridge. Why? I am not sure - maybe because Iíd rather look at an F1 bird with mossy/stippled lacing than at an F1 bird with crescent lacing. I donít know. The greatest issue with the buff-laced pattern has been with getting birds homozygous for melanotic. My birds seem to be homozygous for Columbian, but not necessarily for melanotic. There are clearly some gene linkage issues that my selection for comb type and feather pattern have exacerbated.

If you can find some nice SQ blue partridge Brahmas for your blue laced red line I think you might reach your goal much faster than with using SQ buffs. My gold-laced birds from buff columbians tend to have very pale buff ground color Ė very much like the gold-laced pullet in the recent photos I posted. As of yet I have not found any blue partridge to add to my flock.

Take Care All,
Dan