Big Medicine,

I only have a couple older girls just starting to go broody now (out of about forty). I think over the years I have been inadvertently selecting against broodiness because - oddly enough - I burn wood to heat the house. You see, I can not hatch eggs until after the heating season because my incubators are set up in the basement and during the heating season the temperatures in the basement fluctuate by 20 degrees. This means that I am not setting eggs until June and any hen that by this time has stopped laying and gone broody doesnít leave decedents. Serendipitously, I think that this has also resulted in birds with very good egg production, but if there is some link between broodiness and SQ brahma type, than my flock and/or my management of it needs to be adjusted. I raise llamas, so the woven wire I use for their pastures works very well to isolate small flocks of breeder brahmas. I too prefer to have them out on the range. I think my hatches are much better when they are out eating bugs and greens too. The truly odd thing about my buff-laced brahma flock is that they range very, very far and donít return to roost until almost an hour later than all the other breeds I keep - some wandering in just at dark. How I selected for this I do not know. I am guessing that the local raccoon population will start applying a little selection pressure of its own in the opposite direction should this trend continue. smile

Dan