Forgive me if this topic has been discussed here before. My memory is not that good anymore.

On another forum...the debate rages about whether you have to let birds 'rest' after butchering them before you put them in the freezer. Some people seem very concerned with rigor mortis, insisting that it must be allowed to pass before you freeze the bird or else the bird will be tough as an old boot.

My feeling is that if you have properly raised and butchered a designated meat bird, the product will be pretty darn good. Ours always are and we we butcher, cool and freeze with no resting or sitting overnight in the fridge before freezing. I don't have room in my fridge for 25 birds anyway!

I'm wondering if this idea is floating around from the days when people ate 5 year old dual purpose roosters and various, desperate measures were employed to render the miserable, old thing edible. We are confident that a well raised, well butchered mear bird is going to be a wonderful product everytime and for us it has been.

WHy do people get hung up on the 'let rigor mortis pass' idea? To me, the longer meat is around NOT frozen, the higher your risk of food bourne illness. Get that thing in the freezer and forget about rigor mortis! Ideas and opinions, anyone?